Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Part II: Grains/Seeds

Ingredients
- 2 spoons of Amber Waves of Grain
- 2 spoons of budgie seed mix (without extras)
Note: You don't have to use the same products I use. Mix up the grains. Some suggestions are: amaranth (must be sprouted or cooked before feeding), quinoa, wheat, rye, kamut, spelt, triticale, oats, millet, etc. I bought this Amber Waves of Grain from SproutPeople because it has a large variety of grains without having to buy each seperate. I plan to add other grains seperately to increase certain grains from time to time. Make sure the budgie seed mix is plain seed mix. You don't want pellets, vegetables, fruits, etc in them because they will spoil.

Instructions
1. Put your grains/seed mix into a sprouting jar and soak for 8 hours. I like setting the soak right before I go to bed. I also add a little ACV to the soak water. I don't add specific instruction on how to sprout, so please read up if you are unsure.
2. After 8 hours of soak you can rinse and use immediately. Keep left over grain/seed mix rinsed several times a day. It helps to shake the container around to lossen grain/seeds to airate better. Otherwise it can spoil quickly.

The amount I put above in the ingredients list is more than enough for my 2 budgies a day. I have started sprouting grains/seeds everyday. Well, every night I do the soak before bedtime. When I wake up, I rinse and use for breakfast mash. Then rinse a few times during the day and offer again for dinner mash. (Instruction on mash mix in another post.) Then at the end of the night I discard leftovers and set another soak before bedtime. And repeat.

Mash Diet - Introduction
Part I: Legumes
Part II: Grains/Seeds
Part III: Vegetables **coming soon**
Part IV: Summary **coming soon**

No comments: